Take heart, America! We are bigger and better than one man or one woman and it will take a lot more than a single contentious election to bring us down. Have faith. Pray for those in power. Get involved. It will all work out in the end, because God is ultimately in charge.
It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man. Ps 118:8
The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? Ps 27:1
When we couple our faith with postive, productive action, we can overcome fear. It feels good to rant on facebook but I think we can all agree it doesn’t really do much. Better to use your feelings to propel yourself into action. I say this respectfully yet regrettably – and I most definitely include myself in this – The apathy and the ignorance about politics in our country is appalling and sad.
That is one thing Donald Trump did for us. He got people’s attention. He fired us up, whether we were for him or against him. He inspired a call to action for so many. Whether you are happy he won, or you’re upset about it, either way, you’re fired up, you’re motivated. Now is the time to
Some ideas to consider:
- Write your congressman about issues that concern you
- Get on their mailing list to stay informed
- Read. Use the internet to educate yourself.
- Brush up on our political history
- Contact your party’s local chapter to see what you can do to help. In Michigan, the websites are: http://www.migop.org/ http://www.michigandems.com/
- Volunteer. Anywhere. Becoming more aware of the needs right in your own community makes you a more informed citizen.
For a big picture perspective on how much our Founding Fathers were willing to risk for the sake of our present freedom and democratic society, Here is an excellent video narrated by Paul Harvey about the signers of the Declaration of Independencehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX-APfe3i8Q
After watching what those men and their families were willing to risk to preserve our freedom, I hope you are inspired to get involved, even in some small way.
And one final suggestion?
- Pray. For God to give our next president the grace, compassion, and wisdom to lead our country in the right direction. To keep us safe. To unite and not divide. To help those who truly need it and to do it all fairly, treating everyone with equality and pursuing and preserving liberty and justice for all.